You will never get rid of the smell. You now have a "Seinfeld" car. Just sell
it to me for $1000:)

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 20, 2012, at 4:44 PM, andrew strasfogel <astrasfo...@gmail.com> wrote:

So I am still stymied at the episodes of a sooty smell emanating from
the air vents in my 1985 CA version 300TD wagon.

I spent some time degreasing the engine and solving a minor antifreeze
leak under the hood.  Thee are still areas with encrusted oil -
typical of so many W123 diesels -but when I pop the hood I cannot
detect the same sooty smell that emanates from the air ducts.

The first onset of the smell seems t start after the engine is warmed
up to normal operating temperature but only after the heat engages
(not when the blower first engages).  The smell doesn't seem to linger
all that long, and seems to stop (although air continues to come
through the vents) when the ACC switches over to either outside air or
recirculating air mode once cabin temperatures reach the temp
indicated on ACC thermostat wheel.  The smell may reappear later for
no particular reason.

My basic questions follow:

1) Where is the intake for the outside air?

2) Could smoky air smell be coming from some place other than the
outside of the car?

3) Could oil somehow have been interspered inside the vent system,
which might cause a burning smell to emanate when warm air passes
through the interior duct work?  If so, how could that be addressed?

4) Could there be a crack in the firewall that allows engine smells to
pass inside the car (doubtful)

As usual, thanks in advance for your thoughts, guidance,and sympathies (haha)..

Andrew
1983 and 1985 300TD