Yes, VA and DC are the only two jurisdictions in the country where radar
detectors are illegal.

Basically if you think along the lines of "VA hates people and hates cars
more" you're not far off.  Did you know that in VA if they sent your tax
bill to the wrong address, send you a bill for the incorrect amount, or
mess up your income taxes, you are liable for penalties and interest from
the date the tax is due.

Its a worthless state that's still fighting the Civil War, hates gays, and
hates women.