This is true in some places, but you need to find better beaches.  If there
are loads of people there, then you're at the wrong one.  I generally avoid
the big tourist areas and times.

I found NJ beaches to be really wonderful.  They're big and have great
waves.  I had the unfortunate experience of going to "the best beach in the
world" in Mexico and was completely disappointed.  No waves, nets to keep
the crap out, and not much sand.  It was all a staged "paradise".

This is a beach:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaimekop/4988106791/in/photostream/lightbox/

Jaime

Jaime Kopchinski