Rick,

Some MBs have SAE threaded comps. and some have metric. There are also light
vs. regular version R4s. The 'regular' is slightly longer and supposedly has a
larger clutch according to the Delco pdf linked below.
http://www.acdelco.com/pdf/appcat_buyers/compressors.pdf

My 240D has a light version (added before my time) and the support bracket
typically on the back side of the W123 comp. has fit issues (it was removed).
There may be a method around that but I don't know fittings very well.

I always thought they were interchangeable beyond those points but have seen
some weird looking connections on GM R4s that would need substantial MB
retrofitting. Luckily the hard line connection fit is obvious when you are
looking at them.

As an aside, I'm looking to pick up a spare to make a 'tool' like the one shown
in the link below - it allows resealing an entire 'good but leaky' R4 instead
replacing it or just replacing the front seal.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/2714537-post76.html
More details:
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/2709045-post73.html

And for completeness from the same (very long) thread - part number info if you
want to get everything from ackits.com to redo the front seal.
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/2505666-post71.html

Good luck,
Dave
SoCal - '82 240D (3 pedal), '84 300TD (Euro), '85 300TD (Cali)