The Costco Amex cards gets you 3% on gas purchases up to $3000 year then it
drops to 1% (but not at Costco IIRC), 3% on restaurants including fast
food, 2% on travel, and 1% on everything else.  The membership is $55/year
and $110/year for executive level which gets you 2% on Costco purchases
redeemable in the form of more purchases at Costco.  In the past I have
tried Costco gas and it didn't run very well in my Jeep.  Valero/Diamond
Shamrock works the best in my Jeep.

Costco is a good place to buy big screen TV's and some other things, but
most of the time I want a model or variety of something they don't have, so
membership there has limited value to me.  I just don't need 3 big bottles
of Heinz ketchup or crates of bread.  Some people like them for tires, but
I can get the same pricing and a lot more locations from Discount Tire.