Some cars, the ignition and/or engine stop button just send a request to the computer. Same for the shift lever.

I think a big red "Emergency shutoff" pushbutton switch should be mounted in the center of the steering wheel of those POS "fly by wire" vehicles. Another reason I don't want a toada. If I owned one of those, I'd put an emergency shutoff push and lock switch within easy reach.

Dirtbikes used to have a bracelet you wore. If you left the bike, the bracelet pulled a pin and that killed the ignition. Too bad all these programmer geniuses in the auto industry can't think of a similar system. If they ever do, it will be overcomplicated, and cost $1832 per car. It ought to cost under $10 and be simple.

Funny they gummit makes filling stations have an emergency shutoff, but a 4000 lb missile flying under "fly by wire" needs no safety. Every industrial machine has to have an emergency shutoff and a manual disconnect within easy reach, or requires two hands in position before the drive will engage, and while the machine is operating, but not even a 25ยข switch for cars.