Just got back from the Ford stealership.  Seems that my weird tire wear =
and related noise in the left rear of my 2004 Focus wagon is due to a =
bent suspension knuckle.

According to the tech, the suspension knuckle, which I would call a =
trailing arm, must have sustained some sort of road trauma, since I =
wasn't hit or hit something with the rear wheel that I know of.

The lower control arm is definitely out of spec, the upper is =
questionable, so they're going to replace both of them.  Considering the =
age and mileage, the rubber is pretty old anyway, so it's cheap =
insurance to do it while they have it apart.

I looked at parts prices to DIY it, and it would have cost me about half =
of what I am being charged for the complete repair for the parts, not to =
mention I would have to mess with springs and nasty things like that. =
Not worth the hassle and potential for being off the road for several =
days, which would be a significant inconvenience.

I whined about having to sit there all day and how I was a loyal =
customer, so they gave me a loaner until the car is ready tomorrow.

With the four wheel alignment out the door it's going to be a few buck =
short of $1000.

Ouch.

Considering this is the only major repair I have ever had on the car, I =
can't complain too much.  It still sucks.

Dan