----- Original Message -----
From: "LT Don"

> I'd still replace the thermostat, in spite of your kitchen test. That can
be
> the only variable here that I can imagine. Pretty cheap test. If nothing
> else, you will have a spare working thermostat in your trunk.
>
> I couldn't believe the difference when I replace mine about a year ago.
>
> Don
>

> On 12/12/05, Harry Watkins  wrote:
> >
> > To all
> >
> > On the way back from buying it, my co-pilot drove the first 50 miles and
> > followed to observe.  He was driving it like it was stolen but I never
saw
> > ANY sign of smoke.  I drove it the last 300 miles and the temp gauge
never
> > got to 80.  To stay warm, I selected defrost and never got too hot like
> > have in other MBs.  I also never saw smoke on FOT from a start.
> >
> > Today I removed the thermostat, hoping it would be stuck open, but it
> > wasn't.  I tested it on the stove and it begin to open well before
bubbles
> > begin to form and was fully open before a boil.  I don't know if this is
> > normal or not.
> >
> > MPG = 23, is that about right?
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Harry Watkins

Bruce
82 300CD 334kmi 'His'
85 300CD 236kmi 'Hers'
75 240D 194kmi 'Donner'
77 240D 204kmi 'Blitzen'

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Shopping
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mon Dec 12 03:52:52 2005
From: "Harry Watkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 21:53:03 -0600
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Why is my 85 300 TD running cold?

Hendrik

Dummy me, I never even thought about checking the radiator when we stopped,
I guess I was convinced it was really running cool because of being cold in
the cab.  I'll wait for my new thermostat before going back up, then I'll
check if the T-stat doesn't cure it.

Thanks.

Harry