On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 21:28:58 -0400 Rick Hawkins Java <macj...@aol.com>
wrote:

> folks
>
> it's only 101 at almost 9 pm in athens, ga.

Oh, my. And humid, too, I suppose. What's the dew point?

> My 123, 1982 300td is overheating. Yesterday i had a flat .... had 2
> holes in the same 80% tread tire!! Had a hole in same tire about 3
> weeks ago. Looked like thorns or splinters in the tire.

That's frustrating. Was it repairable?

> fixed that and put in about  5 qts of water

Don't forget to put in antifreeze. It's anti-boil, too, and will keep you
from blowing off hoses and other nasty things.

> when it was cool, pulled thermostat and boiled it on the stove. It
> opens about 1/4 inch probably at about 80c which is marked on the good
> german thermostat
>
> it was installed with the round disc part toward the block and the
> pointy end toward the radiator
>
> i assume that is correct

That is correct. The round disk is supposed to be pushed against the
opening that allows flow to the block so the flow has to go to the
radiator instead. That's why these cars won't run with the thermostat
removed.

I'm not sure how much the thermostat is supposed to open.

> i noticed the upper hose was collapsed .... should i replace that ...
> i have a couple of new big hoses

Yes, you should replace it.

> do i need to burp it or something to get more water in the system

You do need to have the heater cores turned on when you are adding
coolant to the system. Having the car pointing up-hill when you are
topping off the cooling system doesn't hurt.

> i was going to flush it with citric acid crystals that i have
>
> how much should i use?

100 grams per liter (10%). You must use a thermostat that has been forced
open with a piece of tubing while doing the flushing. (IIRC, Jim Cathey
uses old .38 casings.)

> i need to drive it to savannah tomorrow
>
> aux fan comes on

If it gets over 100 deg.C., the aux fan should come on.

> i don't think water pump is leaking .... it's only about 2 or 3 years
> old and fan is spinning so we can hope the viscous clutch is good

If you turn the engine off when it's hot, the fan should stop very
quickly and not keep spinning. Likewise, you should hear a roar from the
fan when you rev a hot engine and the fan is engaged.