My experience here in the north (at least compared to most of you folks) is
that the cord usually fails in one of two places.

1. The end with the plug where you plug it into the extension cord because
it is handled the most and hangs out of the car. Replacing the plug may be
an option but often the wire is corroded back a way and you don't have a lot
of cord to permit you to shorten it. I did use a chunk of cord and reconnect
under the hood on a 97 Mercury Sable that we had as a stop gap measure until
we could get a replacement cord.

2. The other end where it plugs into the socket on the block heater at the
engine. I don't know whether it is the heat or not but I suspect that to be
the cause. Often the rubber plug will deteriorate to the point where that
end shorts out. It ususally (at least in my experience) does not harm the
block heater and a new cord will correct the problem.

Generally, one is better off to get a cord at the dealer as it is usually
longer than those offered in the afermarket. A long cord is good as it
allows one to tie it back out of the way and snake it through to the grill
and out by the bumper somewhere so that the hood need not be opened to use
it.

Remember to tuck it back in under the hood before going through the car
wash.

Randy