So are you saying your message bounced back to you twice, and came thru on the 3rd time?

On 7/5/2012 10:29 PM, Rich Thomas wrote:
bounced twice today

--R

-------- Original Message --------
Subject:     Re: [MBZ] Heat pump NOW water heater
Date:     Thu, 05 Jul 2012 23:17:26 -0400
From:     Rich Thomas <richthomas79td...@constructivity.net>
To:     Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>

So this morning my wife sends me a text early (late for her, I think she was up at like 4AM) and says the hot water was minimal when she took a
shower.  First thought was, well it helped wake you up, but that is
beside the point.

So I ponder this a minute and remembered having a warm shower yesterday
evening (warmer than ambient, which is quite warm at this time) so
figured the water heater was pretty much OK, yesterday anyway. Then I recalled she had done like 4 loads of laundry, so figured that drained down the tank (80gal electric) but it should have recovered overnight. So then I remember there is a control box the electric company has in there that supposedly they could control the thing. Now the PO of the house told me as near as he could tell it never did anything, but he got
a break on the electric bill so let them put it in.  I put in a new
water heater 3 yr ago, and as near as I can tell the control box never did anything either, but I hooked the WH into it anyway when I replaced it (and I thought about bypassing it, but did not as it was easier just
to wire into it).

So I go look at the WH in the closet, and shonuff the light on it is blinking. It has some sort of "smart" controller with an LED blinky, and the code said "Failed Initialization" or something. I am not sure how a WH initializes, other than just turning on and off, but there you go. So I push the reset button and the light goes steady, I hear the
coils start to heat water, bueno.  I guess it initialized happily.

So then I go look at it a while later and the green light is completely off, and the controller box LED display says "P" whereas before I think it said "O" and of course there is nothing on the box to indicate what P and O mean. I figure P means off and O means on, whatever sense that makes. It has "Bypass" and "Vacation" buttons, the "Vacay" button turns the controller off (or some other symbol lighted up, I forget) and back
on, the "Bypass" button doesn't do anything at that point. Anyway,
after awhile it comes back on again, with an "O" showing and there was hot water for evening shower. I guess it recovered OK during the day
when it was running.

I am figuring since it is fairly warm these last few days the electric company is actually doing some controlling and the controller confused the WH "smart" controller to where it was having fits. I am wondering if that external power on/off is going to bugger my WH or WH controller
at some point.

Technology marches forward.  We are in the woods with not a lot of
direct sunlight at any given time during the day, or I would seriously consider augmenting the thing with a solar panel water heater of some sort.

--R

-----
No virus found in this message.