My '78 240D has gotten slow, really slow, mega slow, slow even for a 240D.

A couple weeks ago I replaced the fuel filters and it got better for most of a
ride to RI. On the way back it was bad again. How bad? Like 3rd gear 50mph on
any kind of hill bad.

So today I figured I better look into it. Pulled the fuel sender, the tank is
pretty low so this seemed like a good place to start. YEECH! What is that black
$h!t coating the bottom 1/4 of the sender? This can't be good.
Got it apart and found a huge snot globule that explains why the low fuel light
never comes on.

When I say huge snot globule I mean it. At first I thought there was a wiper
pad at the bottom of the sender. Had to come in an look at pictures of a clean
one. I got the globule out and got the sender back together, at least one thing
is fixed.

I don't know if I want to attempt the tank strainer. Looks like if I do I
should probably buy the kit from Mercedes source but it also seems like if the
tank is as bad as this I should probably have it pulled out and steam cleaned.
I'll run it over to my local guy tomorrow and see what he'll charge for this
fun job. If the guy down the street will do it it'll save my Indy. I think this
is a job he'd prefer not to do.

-Curt