One of my brothers was a Navy medical corpsman on aircraft carrier USS Hornet when it transported the Doolittle raiders and their B-25's from Alameda to the western Pacific in Apr '45 for raid on Japan; 'gave all of the Army aircrewmen required shots and got to know some of them before their launch. He also attended, helped care for, etc., a Navy deck hand who had an arm severed by a B-25 prop during their engine start, taxi,, etc., during the launch.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Penoff" <lwb...@yahoo.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 2:55 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT - R-4360 First Start...

I got to witness a full power test stand run with a Rolls-Royce jet engine when the wife worked there a few years ago. A lot of the areas were off limits due to military security issues, but the test stand area was not. A friend of our's husband was head of safety for the plant, so between he and my wife I was able to get to witness a couple of full power run-ups in the production test stands.

It was pretty cool to watch. A frightening amount of power bolted to the floor/ground. I asked one of the techs doing the run-up if they had ever had an engine scatter, and he said they had, and that depending on the point in the run-up you may or may not have wanted to be present for it.

My Dad claimed to have seen a guy get beheaded by a B-29 when he was training. He said there were a lot of aircraft on the apron and they were very close together, with all being in one stage of service or another. According to him you would get used to all the racket, so if you weren't paying attention you could just walk into a spinning prop and not even know it. Apparently this happened to a ground crewman. Dad said it was pretty grisly.

Dan