Thanks, that was pretty comprehensive on complaints about the CA 85 model.... What the meaning of the acronym TO?

Alan
85 Turbo

On 7/29/12 12:48 AM, ernest breakfield wrote:
seems if your wagon doesn't have the Self Leveling System, it's missing one of the coolest things about the wagons (though it was a PITA if it ever started to cause trouble). you can see far too many dragging their asses around town here because people didn't want to pay what it costs to fix them, but that's a TD issue, not an '85 issue. as for the trans, i've heard the '85s trans referred to derisively as "the little one", and know that the local Benz tranny shop doesn't like them. (i haven't been forced to look into it any further, knock on wood!)

too many things about the '85s make them 'one year cars', and the CA versions are even more full of oddities due to the Trap Oxidizer that MBZ threw at them that year.

one things that especially irks me about the '85 is the Injection Pump; while it was alleged to help the motor produce more power, seems there's an Electric Fuel Pressure Regulator that means that even with mechanical injection, these things won't work without electricity. (that just seems *wrong* to me somehow,... mechanical FI should always just *work*.) because of that pump making more power, the '85 has a rear axle ratio that's taller; better for the highway, but worse in town, and that even affects the instrument panel since a different speedo is needed. then, i believe there's a torque converter that's got a different stall speed; not sure if that was supposed to be related to the IP and axle ratio, or emissions; i've heard stories about it being both.

for CA, the TO was an issue you'll hear many people complain about. IIRC, there were 3 Factory "campaigns", causing most of them to eventually be changed out to be Catalytic Converters (if they hadn't eaten themselves up already), but we're still stuck with Intake and Exhaust Manifolds that are unique to that subset of that one year, a less common turbo, and an air filter that's not shared with any other 300 diesel, and priced accordingly.

    keep your fingers crossed that yours remains running well!

cheers!