Some of the confusion stems from the fact that R12 has the same temperature and pressure on the low side (that is, in degrees F, 32 psi = 32 degrees). One of the reasons R12 was used in automobiles was that it's simple to see what the evaporator temperature is.

R134a doesn't work like this. My gauge set has a temperature scale on it beside the pressure scale so it's easy to see what the evaporator temperature is.

On systems with expansion valves, you will see quite low pressures when the valve is closed, but they will be higher when the valve is wide open. The pressure may not show the actual evaporator temperature as a result.

On CCOT systems, it's even more complicated as the evaporator can contain liquid freon at times, and excess liquid freon collects in the accumulator (between evaporator and compressor) since there is a fixed orifice. GM typically uses CCOT systems, MB has tyipcally used a receiver/dryer and expansion valve, but I don't know what they use today.

With a receiver/dryer, it's easy to tell if there is adequate freon, as you won't see bubbles in the sight glass during full load operation. No sight glass on CCOT systems, you have to use the pressure.

Low pressure with boiling sounds in the evaporator is a new one for me, but I'd try adding freon first since it's cheap and easy. A bad compressor usually results in high low side pressure and no cooling -- and no heat in the condenser.

Peter