It measures the acidity/alkalinity of solutions.  Dip the disposable paper
test strip in a solution and then compare it to a color scale.  Cheapest is
Walmart at about $5.00.  (Some Walmart stores don't have them but Walmart
mailorder does.)  Widely used for numerous applications; many manufacturers
make them.  As long as the Ph is between 7 and 11, the antifreeze is okay.
If you have a regular doctor, his nurse might be willing to test your
antifreeze for Ph with a strip that's used for urine.

There are special strips for different types of antifreeze which measure
additional characteristics but they are more expensive and probably not
needed for our purposes.  (Available at big truck/big equipment dealers and
some at NAPA.)
Gerry

Gerry wrote:
tested the ph with a urine ph test strip (ph was 9 or
10)...

Tell me more about this test strip - manufacturer name and cost.
Thanks.
mao