On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 10:33 PM, Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Fmiser wrote:
>> Alex Chamberlain wrote:
>>
>> diesel-powered Rolls Silver Shadow.
>
> Hmm.  A Silver Shadow is pretty heavy even for a strong OM603.
> I think a 6BT would be about right...

If it's not too tall for a car application.  I'm reminded of the
special Earth Day episode of "Pimp my Ride" in which a '60s GM muscle
car (a Chevelle maybe?) receives a Duramax transplant and then goes to
the drag strip setting all kinds of records on biodiesel.  They had to
cut a hole in the hood and put a big fiberglass bulge on it to make
room for the engine.

With the Silver Shadow there's probably lots of other issues I haven't
thought of given the (to be polite) wacky British engineering of those
cars.  For example, there's a weird high-pressure Citroen-style (or
450SEL 6.9-style?) brake and suspension leveling system needing to be
powered, although I imagine that's the kind of problem that could be
solved with sufficient application of money and custom fabrication.
(These are the kind of things I wonder about when people swap American
engines into Benzes, parenthetically.  How does a Ford 5.0's A/C and
heating systems interface with a 123's ACC, to give one example I've
seen?)

Alex