Yes and no.  There IS (believe me folks, I'm not making this up...) a
performance benefit.  You know, for example, how engineers try to make a
chassis as stiff as possible?  That's because if the chassis is stiff, it
takes a big variable out of suspension tuning.  They can concentrate on the
plethora of mystical things that Steve Matchett, for example, talks about
in attempting to dial a car in to its maximum performance capability at
that track in those conditions at that time.  Same thing for tires.  Cars
handle differently when tire pressures change, and with uneven tire
pressures (other than desired by those smart engineers).  Been to an
autocross?  Competitors there (and moreso at higher levels of competition)
check their pressures after every run.  And adjust them.  Aircraft use
nitrogen in tires, F1, NASCAR, etc.
Really.
But, of course, having said that, will it make a noticeable difference to
Joe or Josephine Driver?  Hey, I don't know.  Would I like to try it?
Sure, why not?
Best,
Tom Reynolds
Sand Springs, OK

At 12:31 PM 12/15/2005 -0600, you wrote:

>The only reason for using Nitrogen is not in the tire performance aspect,
>but important for a shop functioning in cold, subfreezing weather. Water
>freezes. Compressor air has water in it. Purchased Nitrogen has no water in
>it.
>Shop tools, such as air driven impacts, hoist controls and what not, will
>fail if water droplets freeze in them.
>It is cheaper for shops like D.T. or COSTCO to buy Nitrogen rather than
>dehydrating compressor air.
>

>On 12/15/05, David Brodbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Tom Reynolds wrote:
>> > Actually, upon looking at the statement, "temperature changes will
>> affect
>> > nitrogen the same" that's not true.  Being more inert (less water
>> content)
>> > than compressed air, a nitrogen filled tire will not be nearly as
>> affected
>> > by temperature variations as a compressed air filled tire.
>>
>> I don't get it.  It's been a long time since I took physics, but all
>> gases are going to expand and contract with temperature, aren't they?
>> Maybe I'm just not clear on what the problem people are trying to solve
>> is.

>--
>Hans Neureiter, Houston, TX
>'82 300SD, '95 E300D