I'm installing a trailer hitch in my Ford E350 "behemoth".  Ford
helpfully ran wires for the four-wire connector to the middle of the
van, where they terminate into a plug for the backup sensors.  Trailer
wires stop inside the connector, and the connector is water sealed.
There are covers over where the trailer connector would be in this
connector.

I don't really want to mutilate the connector cover to put wires in,
so I'd prefer to use splices to tap off the significant wires.
Alternatively, I could cut the four wires - they aren't otherwise used
- and twist them; not sure which would be better.  My thoughts:
 - How do I make this thing last for a long time?  My big fear is
blowing fuses when I step on the brakes, in 10 years, when I've
forgotten this completely.
 - How do I keep water out of the connections?  Splices seem like they
are asking for water shorts.  I could cover it in electrical tape but
that seems like it would need regular maintenance.
 - Are there special considerations with salt etc. since it will be in
the undercarriage of the van?

Open to any suggestions!

Thanks,
-Tim