Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 22:01:44 -0400
From: "Max Dillon" <meadedil...@bellsouth.net>
To: "'Mercedes Discussion List'" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OM603 Bent Valve?  No!!

Valve was not sticking.  By finger I could easily move it up to the seat,
and even rotate it a little against the seat, and the valve rotating in the
seat felt smooth.  I held it closed and filled intake with a little WD-40,
and it would not leak out.  Just for satisfaction, I sharpened a toothpick
into a wedge, and forced open the top of the valve stem seal a little, and
dribble some WD-40 down to lube the valve guide.  Made a slight difference
for the better.

So, I put it all back together, and same result: #2 intake valve won't fully
close, vents the compression charge air out the intake.

What gives?  Might the valve spring be bad?  Next I'm going to try a
different spring, can't think of what else the problem might be.

I let it idle for about 10 minutes until the water temperature was normal,
but the valve behavior didn't change.  Oil pressure was good.  I was able to
observe and compare all the intake valves, and it looks as if #6 doesn't
open as much as the rest.  I suspect that lifter is not fully pressurized
with oil.  Maybe I'll swap that out as well if I pull the cam off again.

-Max