If you are looking at a name brand consider the price of upgrades. I regret
buying a Millermatic because the spool gun attachment (required for
aluminum) costs more than I paid for the welder. Adding one to a Lincoln
runs <$150.

Gas can help but is pricey. For playing around and teaching I use straight
CO2. The welds are not as good but it's dirt cheap. We refill a 50# tank
for <$30.

-Dave Walton