PARIS (Bloomberg) -- Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne, irritated by
comments from Volkswagen AG executives, invited the German carmaker to a dawn
showdown at the Paris auto show as tensions rise between the two companies.

 VW Chief Financial Officer Hans Dieter Poetsch said late Wednesday that
"especially carmakers in southern Europe" may have trouble surviving the
crisis without government aid.
 Stephan Gruehsem, VW's chief spokesman, said in July that Marchionne was
not qualified to head the ACEA lobby group and said the German carmaker was
prepared to leave the association.
 "If Volkswagen, through its chief executive, thinks that it needs to do
something, tell them to show up tomorrow morning at 7 o'clock at our stand,"
Marchionne told reporters. Fiat will leave the organization "in protest" if
necessary, he said.

 VW CEO Martin Winterkorn accepted Marchionne's invitation and will attend
Friday's ACEA meeting at Fiat's exhibition space, spokesman Eric Felber
said, adding that Volkswagen "sticks to our statement" that Marchionne should
step down.
 The two automakers have also traded heated exchanges over Fiat's Alfa
Romeo brand, with Marchionne insisting it's not for sale, and telling VW
Chairman Ferdinand Piech "to go and sing somewhere else." Piech retorted at the
German carmaker's evening reception Wednesday that VW "can wait" for Alfa.
 Marchionne reiterated today the brand isn't for sale, then added, "Do I
have to say it in German?"

Plunging market
 Volkswagen, bolstered by sales in China and premium nameplates including
Audi, is gaining share in the worst European car market in 17 years by
offering discounts and financing packages its competitors in France and Italy
can't match.
 VW is also one of the fastest-growing companies in the United States. VW
Group has posted a 31 percent sales gain through August, topping Chrysler
Group’s 26 percent advance.
 General Motors Co. said today "nobody" can make money in Europe with Fiat
and PSA Peugeot Citroen striving to maintain customers with discounts of as
much as 30 percent.
 Marchionne, who is currently serving as the ACEA's rotating chairman, has
been urging his European counterparts to come up with a comprehensive plan
to cut overcapacity in the region, a move resisted by VW and the other German
carmakers.
 VW threatened to quit the organization after a New York Times article in
July suggested that Marchionne blamed VW's pricing strategy for creating a
"bloodbath" in Europe.
 "I have no particular interest in continuing my role without the support
of the board," Marchionne told reporters at the Paris show today. "But I also
don't particularly give a flying hoot what the CFO or the head of the press
office at Volkswagen thinks."
 Renault SA CEO Carlos Ghosn said today that running the industry group is
a bit of a thankless job during this crisis.
 "I can understand the frustration of whoever is managing the ACEA by
saying look, on top of my own problems, I have to deal with these problems,"
Ghosn said. "I'm very happy as long as it's not me," Ghosn replied with a laugh
when asked who should be running the group.