Have you driven a newer Subaru lately?

She hates Foresters.  Not sure which/what she's looked
at, she _is_ well aware of them.  Possibly because her
mother's enamored of them she might not be too interested.

Tuareg diesel?  Not sure you could score one for under $20K.

Maybe not.  She's looking a 3yo or newer, in general.  This
x5 is pretty nice, though older.  She believes that German
iron ages better than the others, so the '06 is not out
automatically.

If #$%^ MB had made an AWD 124 300D wagon we'd have probably
been all over them, and we wouldn't be at our current state
of dropping more than our last decade's car budget in one
place to make her 'happy'.

-- Jim