Ever since I changed the fuel filters in my '84 190D I've noticed a whiff of
diesel when idling or when first starting (which I guess is idling). I checked
all around the new filters but couldn't find any leakage. Finally had the head
slap moment when I realized it was the return lines which I've never changed.
Put that on the "to do list" since it seems to rain all the time lately.

Today my wife took the car to work and complained that the diesel smell (which
she surprisingly hadn't noticed previously) was really bad. Tonight after
dinner I got lucky and the rain abated so I ran out and dug through my spares
box. I found the viton tubing I'd bought to put lines on my '83 240D years ago
and there was just enough left for this job. I even cut apart the end plug and
put it into the viton. All back in place I can't detect any leaks and the smell
is less so thats a win.
I never did find a smoking gun on leakage, worst one was the rearmost but even
that one wasn't bad, none were wet with fuel...

One question, I didn't take a picture before dissassembly and I couldn't
remember on the last injector which side took the return line and which took
the plug. I ran it the most expedient way but it led me to wonder if it
matters. I either got it right or it doesn't matter and I was reassured when
pushing on the plug I could make diesel come out the return line on the next
injector back...

So, does it matter which connector goes where?

-Curt