Dry (unsaturated air) adiabatic lapse rate = ~ -5 degrees F/1000 feet rise in altitude and ~ -1 degree C/3000 feet rise in altitude.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "G Mann" <g2ma...@gmail.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2012 9:05 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Dense Intercooling

OOOooopps.. typo..

Should read:
"Rise in altitude and DROP in temp"

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM, G Mann <g2ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hendrik
Point well made. True, as you go up in altitude.. temps drop.. [as a rule
of thumb, 1 degree F per thousand ft. {same rule, different math for
"meter/Centigrade}]. However, along with that rise in altitude, and temp, you also have a lowering in air density.. In the brief comments previous, I did not make that distinction. {ask an engineer how to sharpen a pencil he
says... "first cut down a tree.... etc etc"]

Naturally, to design a "charge air cooler system" it needs to take into
account properly such things as ambient air density, and temperature... and
compensate for those factors..

Thus, the well employed engineers with car companies..... or... you could
do what the "hood scope" buy did in the Original posting... and just throw enough S*($#t against the wall until some of it sticks and call it "good".

"I wonder what the wind tunnel flow separation numbers look like on the
"hood scope"

Smiles,,,,
Grant