And in a former life, I used to amateur race production sportbikes (a
1997 GSX-R750, to be exact). Metal caps with gaskets were indeed
required and part of the tech inspection. I didn't often near 150mph
as the tracks I raced on didn't have long enough straights...
Thunderhill was the fastest, probably mid-140's every lap. Sears Point
(now Infineon) was a bit slower, but a lot hairier, and almost more
fun in a sadistic sort of way (those of you who have turned a wheel in
angst there know what I mean.)

I've found cracked plastic caps on some of my vehicles in the past. I
try to use only metal caps with gaskets on all my cars (and bike). Be
careful, some are better than others - some metal caps have no
gaskets, or poor gaskets. Plastic caps are useless except to keep dirt
out of the Schrader.

=)

+dm