I would like to think you are correct but I don't want to over heat the engine. I am told that is a no-no with these engines. What I have is an old 165 HP inline 6 cylinder GM engine - 250 cid. Basic GM block used by Mercruiser for a number of years in the 60's and 70's.

I bought a heat exchanger that I am told was originally used on that engine on ebay last winter. It had been retrofitted for use on a smaller inboard engine in a sailboat for a number of years. The sailboat underwent a bit of a rebuild and at the end of the day they installed a new engine with its own cooler setup. Before that happened, this heat exchanger was cleaned up and was ready for re-installation. I have not taken it apart but I have photos of the inside of it somewhere, from when it was cleaned out.

It does look as though it has reasonably large passages through it.

So, the filter idea may only be a temporary thing while I see how much gunk is showing up. I wonder if a screen of some sort might be sufficient just to see what appears at the outset. However, as I said, I don't want to ruin the thing. I am told that if one overheats this engine the head will warp and it will then need extensive work.

My whole reason for wanting to do this change to closed cooling is to make a cabin heater more viable. One can run a heater core off of the engine like in a car and I am told it is much more effective with a closed system vs a raw water system.

For those spring and fall days, it would be nice to have a heater under the dash that would blow a bit of warmth back at me.

Randy