Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2012 15:28:42 -0500
From: Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com>
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240D on Chasing Classic Cars

This reminds me of the pawn shop in Las Vegas that has the show. People bring
stuff in there that the owners (or their "experts") place stupid values on it.

I dealt in pinball machines for many years, so I was interested in watching
this particular episode.

Some guy brought in an old pinball machine that they took to an "expert" who
rebuilt it and claimed it was now worth about 3X what the actual market value
was.

There was a lot of chatter in the pinball community over it, and the so called
expert really got taken to the woodshed over it and lost a lot of credibility
as a result. While he would never admit it, many of us thought there might very
well have been some collusion in an effort to make the show more "exciting".

This sort of behavior does two things:

It causes the general public to have unrealistic expectations of value for
something; and, it drives prices up in the market for much the same reason.

Dan