How does the nozzle heat system work?  The FSM just says they come on
at 5 degrees C.  Is there a fuse?  Is it related to the outside temp

I _think_ that the heating element in the nozzle is just a thermistor,
and that the turn-on is somewhat gradual.  But I could be wrong, I never
dove into the system.  I did install these nozzles in my wife's 450 SL
(the one we're trying to sell) because it was a year-round driver.
Got 'em from a wrecked 560 SL, and also got the four-stream variation
instead of the original two.  (One of the old 450 nozzles is now in
the Frankenheap.)

Either way, how the heck do you get them out of the hood?  I pushed
and pried for quite a while with no result.

The heating element assembly pulls out of the nozzle.  The nozzle
itself has 'ears' that poke out.  The best way I've found to remove
the nozzle involves using a piece of metal tubing to slip over the
nozzle's fitting that presses in the ears.  Then push hard while
rocking, maybe pounding gently with your fist.

-- Jim