Yes, there is a noticable difference in putting virtually all of the glow plug related heat inside the prechambers versus having the majority of it
outside the engine next to the valve cover!

One of my Frankenheap fantasies is to put the toaster rack wires inside
the intake manifold. I'm interested in how that system would then compare
to the pencil plug system.  For what it's worth, my Dodge diesel doesn't
have glow plugs, but it does have a heater grid in the intake manifold!
It starts just dandy, and shooting a heat gun down the throat of my
Unimog is what gets it started in the cold weather.

-- Jim