Well I am deciding whether to keep my old 240D or sell
it. This is a 1982 240D 4-speed manual with almost
270,000 miles on it. It's not perfect but is a lot
better than you may think. I will try to describe its
condition in detail.

The car spent most of its life in Georgia until 4
years ago the 2nd owner brought it to Florida. I am
the 3rd owner I think. The first owner was a minister
and a good friend of the 2nd owner. The 2nd owner
pegged him for many years and one day finally won it.
Being a southern car it almost has zero rust except
one place - under the lower left corner of the rear
windshield seal - the 2nd PO waited too long to
replace the cracked windshield seal. It's very small
(1/4") and is not visible (under the new windshield)
if I don't tell you. I had the seal replaced soon
after I bought it. The front windshield and seal have
been replaced and is in great condition. Other than
this spot, the car is pretty much rust-free. The
bottom of chassis is in a beautiful condition.

Engine:
The engine has always been well maintained. 2nd PO
used Amsoil 15W40 synthetic oil while he owned it. I
use Mobil-1 15W50 and Amsoil 15W40 (most of the time).
I have replaced timing chain, chain tensioner and
valve seals soon after I acquired it. The chain was
riveted with the OEM tool (SIR tool not the Mercedes
tool) and was returned to 0 degree stretch after the
chain was replaced. Right now it is close to 2 degrees
so I think the gears and other parts had some wear.
The valve seals were replaced with the OEM tool (SIR
tool) as well. The car does not smoke at start up or
warmed up. The engine does have blowby and at this
time I think either rings are still sticking or just
plainly worn. It uses a quart of oil every 800 to 1000
miles, mostly on highway. I drive it at average 75 mph
or sometime over 80 mph when passing (a pain with 67
HP). It has good power and can maintain the 75 mph
cruising speed effortlessly.
Thermostat has been replaced and I have always used MB
antifreeze. The coolant temp stay at 80 to 82 degree
steady. 2nd PO has all belts and hoses replaced prior
to I bought it (60k miles ago). Fuel filters (primary
and spin-on), air filters replaced every 15k miles.
The fuel strainer and the fitted hose at the fuel tank
are new (did last year). I took the tank out and
flushed the whole thing. Cleaned fuel level sender and
replaced the seals. Also put in a new fuel filler neck
seal. Power steering filter and fluid were replaced by
P.O. (60k miles ago). New glow plugs (Bosch, did last
December).

Transmission/Driveline:
The clutch plate and pressure plate were replaced last
year. The clutch plate was new and pressure plate was
used. New throwout bearing. Mobil-1 ATF in the manual
transmission. New clutch slave cylinder (gold ATE).
New clutch master cylinder (FTE/Sachs?). 2nd owner did
the flex discs (front and rear) 60k miles ago. One of
the half shafts was replaced with a good used one (not
rebuilt). Both half shafts are in good condition. All
transmission linkage bushings are new (genuine MB
parts, still has old ones, they are still good). All
bushing in the shifter assembly are new too (MB
parts). New shifter knob.

A/C:
This model has the manual A/C and heater control. A/C
was retrofiited to the R-134A system. Remanufactured
R-4 compressor. It works but is probably not
satisfactory to many on this list. I don't usually use
it around the town. I mostly use it on highway. It
cools marginal - cold but not icy (I am in Florida).
Need to recharge every two years. Heater on this car
is toasty. The manual heater valve was replaced.

Brake system:
2nd PO replaced all the brake pads (60k miles ago). I
flush the system once a year with Volvoline syntec so
it has been problem free. The seal beteen the brake
master cylinder and brake booster may need replacing.
It is a littel wet at the connetion surface.

Suspension/steering

New upper control arms. New steering damper and idler
arm. Tie rods and ball joints in good condition. The
only thing needs replacing at the front end are guide
rod mounts. New sway bar links at the rear. Subframe
mounts may need replacing. New KYB shocks at front and
back (yes I cheaped out on this one). Ride ok but
probably not as good as Bilstein.

Cruise control:
Not working presently. The AMP was bad. I have a
remanufactured one but never put it in - I just don't
have any use of it.

Sunroof:
Working properly. Bought the sunroof lube from Rusty
but haven't got a chance to lube the rails yet.

Tires:
Almost new. Replaced 3 months ago. Kuhmo brand.

Windows:
Manual windows. Works properly.

Extras:
Passenger side mirror. Trunk mounted triangle
(european delivery).

I think I have covered the mechanical aspects of the
car so now I will tell you why I am selling it. I had
three accidents (minor) on this car this year. The
first one scratched the driver side doors. The paint
condition before the accident was very very good.
Being afraid the new paint may not match the old in a
couple of years, I had the whole car repainted
including the wheel hub caps hoping I was going to
keep this thing forever. A family friend who has 20
year experience in auto painting did the work for me.
He put on 3 clearcoats after the base coat and
guarantee the paint work however long I own it. It was
like NEW when I picked it up. I paid him $1250 and it
could have been easily double that money if I had
taken it to a regular body shop. Not even a month
after I had the car painted, somebody rearended it in
a stop'N'go traffic. So while I was struggling with
the 2nd accident insurance company, a pizza delivery
girl backed her car onto the passenger side of my car
in a parking lot, adding more damage. So I am thinking
either this car is a magnet or I am at odds with it
because I replaced too many parts on it. The new
damages will cost me another $900 to have my friend to
fix it but probably could be much less if you find a
fender and front door for it.The car is 100% drivable.

I have most records on this car from day one. The 1st
owner has meticulously kept a log of the service
history. Of course I have all the receipt for the all
parts/work from the 2nd owner and the work I did on
the car.

I'd like to get $1500 for it. If I can't sell it at
this price I may just as well fix the damage and keep
it. But I already bought a rusty '91 300D 2.5 turbo to
replace this so I'm motivated to sell it.

If anybody or anybody knows anybody that may want a
not-so-perfect manual 240D please let me know. I will
get some pictures if someone has a website I could
post them.

Tan