> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 09:28:52 -0800
> From: Alex Chamberlain <apchamberl...@gmail.com>
> To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] 92 300E Eating Serpentine Belta?
>
> On Dec 3, 2012 9:21 AM, "Gerry Archer" <arche...@embarqmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Gerry....who prefers chains or gears.
> >

> Hmm. There are of course plenty of cars out there with chain-driven
> cams,
> and a few with gear-driven ones... but was an engine ever made with no
> belts at all? I.e., all accessories chain- or gear- driven? (Not
> counting
> motorcycle engines since they don't have any accessories to speak of.)
>
> Alex

Not automotive but an interesting engine.
The Mercruiser 470/488/165 4 cylinder 3.7L, head by Ford (460), Aluminum block
by Mercury Marine, Outboard style alternator behind the front pulley, Delco
distributor, Rochester carburator, GM bellhousing bolt pattern..... and no
belts if there was no power steering, the waterpump was driven off of the end
of the camshaft.

Dave L
Lynnwood, Wa.