That is what happens when the shots are called by Madison ave bowties. I was telling a guy yesterday that the 126 was the last "real" big mercedes. (along with the 124 and 201)

When they changed it to the letter in the front it was supposed to keep everything making sense, so instead of 400sel it was s420 since it was a 4.2l. Now it seems they are back to the numbers not always matching the engine in the case of my gl320, it's got a 3.0 in it, and this new s350 you are taking about. I wish they would have just left it the old way.

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 9, 2012, at 12:48 AM, Chris james <c_ja...@gmx.com> wrote:

MBUSA has a long history of adjusting (or making up) model nomenclature, on both gas & diesel models specifically for the supposed benefit of the US market.

But in the case of the 3.5L 300SD W140, it was simply a world wide marketing change (all W140 model designations were rounded displacements, i.e. 400SEL, 300SD for the 1st two MY). Too soon for the reliability issues to of had any hand in it. IIRC, most of the problem engines didn't begin to self destruct until near the end or just past the 4yr/50K warranty period. No?