On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Rolf <r...@winmutt.com> wrote:

> I came across this article when looking for a cheap homephone solution
> that outlined using a device from obihai.com.
>
> $40 for the box, google voice (which is free) for the in and out bound
> calls.
>
> http://www.obihai.com/**tutorial1.html<http://www.obihai.com/tutorial1.html>
>
> Now, who know how long google will let voice be free or obihai will be
> in business or this will continue to work, but I figure for the $40 it
> will pay for itself in 4 mos.

Google said GV would be free through the end of 2012.  They will probably
announce later this month for 2013.  I would be shocked if they started
charging in a December announcement but stranger things have happened.

Obihai is just a VOIP gateway device with a special interconnect to Google
Voice (normal SIP devices don't work).  However, it will also run SIP, so
even if GV gets expensive or Obi closes and the interconnect breaks, you
can still use the box with a regular SIP provider.  $40 is not a bad price
for the hardware.

Best,
Tim