Old Dieselhead, in his continued attempts (pitiful, really) to counter
every single statement I make here with his quick-draw "facts" once again
stumbles by failing to read his own references. And him a PHD, to boot. This
all
dates back a few years when I stated my scorn for ethanol in gasoline..

This time I claimed that MTBE had never been used in gasoline here.

His triumphant post:

...Appalling lack of knowledge....  Read this report regarding the state
of washington, where according to woger, MTBE was never used:

https://fortress.wa.gov/ecy/publications/publications/0009054.pdf

See page 7 table.  It shows half (49.5%) of the MTBE contaminated
sites are in King county.  (that is seattle)....

Well, first of all there is no table on page 7 but the real problem is that
he didn't read the paragraph (from P7) below.

"Though the use of MTBE is not prohibited, the chemical has not been used
as an oxygenate
in Washington as extensively as it has been in other states."

Well, I guess that's a fair statement since it says nothing much.

"There is only one documented use of MTBE as a fuel oxygenate in Washington
; however, it is likely that the chemical has
been used in gasoline for other purposes in the state."

Only one documented use. And what was that? This report, a glowing example
of a government grant if I've ever seen one, does not say MTBE was in
Washington's gasoline at it's hundreds, perhaps thousands of retail gas
stations
used by the public.

And then at the end of his packed-with-facts report, he again goes off the
rails again with another rant about the blessings of ethanol.

What I'd like to know is where are all these leaking underground tanks of
MTBE and how did they get there and for what purpose? Should I get out my
tinfoil hat? I could also be ready for the Mayan end of the world coming up.

RLE