I have worked at Leavenworth as a government contractor.  The prisons, that is,
not just the base.  No direct contact with the inmates, other than a couple of
trustys.

Having a point of reference using both state and Federal facilities, I can
assure you that death would be considered a welcome alternative.  Military
prisons are very, very unpleasant places compared to state or Federally run
facilities, in my opinion.

The MJRCF is the "nice" military prison on site.  The nasty military prison is
the USDB, where the "lifers" are kept along with high-risk prisoners awaiting
court martial.  I was told that the USDB is only used for prisoners with
lengthy sentences and commissioned officers along with prisoners sentenced to
death.  There is also a Federal facility nearby, but I had never been there
other than passing by.

The USDB is now a "Supermax" facility, I believe, similar to the one in
Colorado which I was also privileged to work at, if you want to call it that.
It was rather nasty when I was there, which was prior to the remodel that
brought it up to Supermax standards.  When I was there in the 90s it was
relatively unchanged from the original design, which was done in the 1920s, I
think.

Dan