Pulled the alternators out of the 190D and 240D yesterday. Contrary to popular
opinion the 240D's alternator will NOT fit in the 190D, the wiring is the same,
the bolt pattern is about 1/8" different with the 240D alt being slightly
smaller in diameter but ever so slightly (like 1/128") longer.

Never the less the wiring is the same, now remember the issue, with the 190D's
proper 70a alt in place I had no warning lights for low fuel, brake wear,
parking brake or alt. With the 240D alt in place (well with the top bolt in and
wiring on) I had all the warning lights. I figure this is enough to fully
indict the 190D alternator. Now to get a new one... Car Quest had already
closed but for $140 they could get one next day (which means Thursday now),
Autozone could do $130 but couldn't have it until early next week. Advance was
about the same but could maybe do Friday.
Junkyard unit is $55. We're due to get snow Wed-Thursday so I'm thinking to go
the junkyard route, it'll have a 30 day warranty, I've got 3 regulators so I
figure I'll clean the slip ring and put in a new regulator before I install.
Installation on the 190D is trivially easy, longest job is jacking up the car
and taking the belly pan off...
If it doesn't last I'll get the Autozone unit with its lifetime warranty.

Anyway its not fixed yet but good times are in sight!

-Curt