Garden stores have green foam "kneeling pads" that work okay for short jobs. I have two heights of step stools that cover working heights below regular chair height. With the kneeling pad and the three heights of stools/chairs to sit on, nearly any job can be done without paining the knees/hips.
Gerry....also with touchy knee and hip bones.

From: "Dan Penoff" <d...@penoff.com>
Kneeling does me in, too. When I have to work on a server at work that's below about section 22/24 in a rack I get a step stool to sit on. If I don't my right knee will remind me what I had been doing for a day or two afterwards.

I was amazed that the two or so hours I spent on a creeper the other night while replacing the transmission cooler lines on the eldest's 300E didn't seem to affect me that much. I was expecting to be in marginal shape the next day.

Dan