Download Ultimate Boot CD and use the vendor specific hard drive long test. If it passes, sounds like you might have an issue on the MoBo.

Luther   KB5QHU    Forest Park, IL
'98 ML320 "Max" (159,xxx mi)

On 12/26/2012 9:29 AM, Kaleb C. Striplin wrote:
This computer has a hardware diagnostic tool that you can access at
startup.  Ran that, it tests memory, HDD, CMOS, system board etc. It
passed every test except the SMART extended test on the HD.  It past the
short SMART test but not the extended, it also passed the surface
scans.  Hard drive going bad?  Could this cause computer to just shut
off at random? When I say shut off I mean like the power was pulled, no
blue screen or aything, just blip its gone.  I  have not tested the
system temp yet