There are themostatic switches that will turn something on a variuos temps
available. I have on in the well house that controls an IR bulb to keep it
from freezing. You can get them at the home repair/building stores or
Amazon, etc.
http://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-AFITC3-Thermocube-Controller/dp/B0006U2HD2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357157191&sr=8-2&keywords=thermostat+switch

About leaving it on for extended periods - a warm engine will experience
less condensation and therefore rust on the internal parts (cam in
particular), so might, *in theory*, extend the life of the engine. This is
a big deal in aircraft engines that are used perhaps once a week - not so
much in daily drivers, but might be something to take into consideration to
balance the risk of burn-out of the heating element and cost of
electricity. No, I have not done this with mine, YMMV.

--
OK Don
2001 ML320