We had a "shoe truck" that came to the plant at Kohler once a month. They sold
shoes for the employees on the factory floor. I wandered in one time and asked
if they had any dress safety shoes, which they did. I bought a pair of black
steel toed wing tips. Not sure what brand they were, but I only had to wear
them on the factory floor so they got very little wear.

There was a union steward who was a real dick to all of the white collar
employees. He would walk up and step on the toes of your shoes to see if you
were wearing steel toes - if not, he would file a complaint with the safety
committee.

I told a couple of people I worked with about my new shoes, who then followed
me out to the factory floor.  Sure enough, Mr. Dick came walking up and stepped
on the toe of one of my shoes. He had a really strange look on his face when he
realized that I had steel toed shoes.

I tossed a shop towel at him and told him he owed me a shine.

Dan

Sent from my iPad