So, there was a political cartoon in the local paper today depicting a couple of Japanese citizens seeking refugee status in Canada on the basis that they were senior citizens from Japan.

It does not ring any bells with me. Did I miss something?
Are senior citizens not treated well in Japan?

I did a quick online search and the only things I came up with seem to indicate that Japan has a lot of older people and the life expectancy is very high. Nothing to indicate any recent news items on the subject that I saw on my minimal search.

Randy