On Jan 24, 2013, at 7:39 PM, "clay monroe" <redgh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Questions for the group.
>
> Is it bad if I just drive the car anyway and save up for more work to solve
> the mystery?

If the problem is a fuel injector not working at all, no. If it is an ignition
problem, maybe. A cylinder not firing will cause fuel to wash down that
cylinder and contaminate the oil in the crankcase. It is probably best not to
drive it.

> Rebuild the engine to put it back into spec?

If the compression is okay, there are no massive oil leaks, and no odd internal
engine noises why bother? Do you have that much extra coin laying around AND a
wife that will let you spend it? I should be so lucky.

> Drive it and save up to do a head gasket replacement at which time everything
> would be clean and sealed up by fresh gaskets instead of the 40 year old
> stuff?

Park it and have the Indy sort it out, if you feel over whelmed by it. I am not
familiar with Mercedes alloy V8's. If it is common for particular head problems
to arise on that engine, address those issues. If it is pretty much bullet
proof, leave it alone.

> What other things could be causing a miss?

A four stroke gasoline engine needs fuel, ignition, and compression to run.
Determine which is lacking, and correct it. I know, easier said than done.

Does it miss at idle? Only under load? What are the conditions that cause the
miss fire? A shop with an old Sun machine could help here. The old
oscilloscopes were great for troubleshooting points ignition problems. I still
remember a few things about how to read one. What shows up as point bounce, bad
wires, etc.

My WAG as to your problem would be a heat related deterioration of the
injection wiring. That is a WAG, as I know nothing of Mercedes V8's.

Rick
Who feels old now.
Sent from my iPhone