At 04:23 PM 1/29/2013, Curt wrote:

                                                     (snip)

We're planting in trees to become a "tree farm" which will reduce our taxes from $10/acre to about $2/acre and make up my retirement fund.

Just by way of contrast, my property tax comes out to about $.23 per acre.

Property taxes are low here to begin with and are made lower yet for my wife and I by virtue of 1)our living on the property, 2) being over 65, and 3) being farmers, i.e. we produce over $1000 a year in agricultural products. (You can count as part of that $1000 the produce from your vegetable garden.)

Also, I read today in the local paper that the County Assessor is recommending lowering the rate because valuation of the new shale gas facilities has increased the tax base.

     Dave Gilmore, Cameron WV

It is a peculiarity of the English language that while most fish swim in schools, herring swim in shoals, a word of the same meaning derived from the same Anglo-Saxon root.