Yeah, in stock things seem to be flexible.  But when ordering a rarely used
hose from Germany, things are a bit different.  My parts man told me it
came in yesterday... I'll pick it up this morning.  I can't beat that
service, I don't even pay for shipping.

Regarding steering boxes... I went through quite an ordeal last year trying
to get a properly rebuilt one from several rebuilders, and they were all
terrible.  I went as far as to get one of the guys on the phone to see what
was going on and found that they were not even using the factory tools to
do the final adjustment.  This so-called expert with years of experience
thought he could adjustment them by hand.  I even bought the tools and
rebuilt one myself to understand the process.  What I learned was that once
the box is worn, you can't rebuilt to be as tight as an original one.  Its
just not possible.  If you're lucky and get a box that was not worn out to
begin with, then a rebuild will be successful.  I bought a rebuild box a
few years ago for a W123 that was like this and it was pretty good.  But
this seems rare.

I ended up going with an MB rebuild and I'm still blown away by how it
feels each time I drive the car.  People like to say that up to 20mm of
play in the wheel is normal.  It may be with in acceptable wear, but its
not how a box should be when new.  This box is perfectly tight and has the
precise steering of a new car.  If you have the budget and plan to keep the
car for a long time, I recommend this route.

Jaime

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 9:44 PM, M G <trainpain2...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> According to my local MB dealer those short pieces of hose are now once
> again available. You no longer have to buy the whole meter long piece. That
> is of course if you absolutely need it right now and the dealer has it in
> stock , which is doubtful. Much easier and quicker to go with Rusty.
>
> BTW Rusty, Are steering gear boxes for an 81 W126 still available and how
> much?
>
> Manfred
>
> Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 22:21:10 -0600
> From: Fmiser <fmi...@gmail.com>
> To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] 15cm of hose:  was - OT Cold weather issues
>
>  but the thermostat bypass hose on a later model OM616
> or OM617 is the same sort of deal where MBUSA sells only 1 m,
> but Rusty is nice enough to cut as sell it in small pieces.
>
> --    Philip

Jaime Kopchinski
http://www.jaimekop.com/