Marshall Booth wrote:

Take it from me Kaleb, 201 5 speeds have a unique balancing disc right behind the front flex disc. It balances the driveshaft. It is NOT sold separately. If the disc fails, Mercedes requires that you buy a NEW front half of the driveshaft and balance disc or a complete new driveshaft with disc. You CAN buy just the disc for manual or automatic 124 driveshaft, or for a 201 automatic driveshaft, but NOT for a 201 5 speed (not sure about a manual 4 speed)!

Marshall's got it right. I've even seen one on the front half shaft of a Euro w123 wagon with 4-spd. Interestingly, the front half shaft eventually destined to go into my car does not have the rubber balancing disc, and never did as best as I can tell.

--
John L. Ervine
1981 240D 4-spd 268+kmi