I was doing some work at the John Deere training center in East Moline when
they were working on the use of radar to measure slip.

They had all of these big diesel tractors set up on a special dyno that had
what I would describe as a moving belt under the chassis. They would run the
tractor on the dyno with different loads, with the moving belt at what the
ground speed was expected to be. The radar would "read" the ground speed and
adjust the speed of the engine to achieve the proper amount of slip based on
the implement being used.

This was in the late 80s, early 90s, so I am sure the technology has advanced
significantly since then.

Dan