To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2013 5:43 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Book, WAS: BLIZZARD!!!! AHHH!!

Here's one:

DORM INSULATION WALL
By Wilton Strickland

In 1978, while I was Director of Engineering at Sondrestrom, Air Base, Greenland, one of my projects was to build a 2 x 4 stud wall, insulate it with R-15 fiberglass insulation and install and finish sheetrock or drywall on it immediately inside the outer walls of every room in one of our large dormitory-like barracks which had been built in 1958 of pre-cast concrete panels. The outer walls of concrete were very cold and energy inefficient, especially during the arctic winters.

One day in early summer, the superintendent of the Danish contractor crew on this project came to my office and told me that the first room was finished and ready for my inspection; all the rest of the rooms would be done like this first one after my approval. In the room, I found that the crew had used no joint tape and no joint compound at all, but had used only common MASKING tape on all the joints and nails! I asked the superintendent what had happened to the boxes of joint tape rolls and buckets of joint compound that I had seen earlier stacked with the sheetrock in the supply warehouse. He and the workmen appeared to not understand what I was talking about. I explained to them that the proper way to finish sheetrock/drywall is to put a bed of joint compound, a putty-like or plaster-like material (but not as hard as plaster) on/in the cracks and joints, apply a layer of the paper tape (this was before the advent of fiberglass mesh tape, of course); apply another layer of the compound, etc., until the tape is thoroughly embedded and the compound on the joint is even with the main surface and smooth with its edges "feathered" to nothing. I also explained to them that the nail heads should be driven slightly below the sheetrock surface, then apply joint compound to the depressions until the area is even with the overall surface and also smooth. They told me that they had never seen sheetrock installed - that they only knew about plaster. I explained that applying the joint compound is very much like but simpler and quicker than plastering. A couple of the workmen and the superintendent went with me to the supply warehouse and retrieved several buckets of joint compound, rolls of the paper tape and several taping tools (putty/joint compound knives). While we were at the warehouse, other workmen were removing all of the masking tape - not an easy job, because they had painted the wall.

Back at the job site with the joint compound, paper tape, metal corner beads and tools, I demonstrated applying joint compound to the nail heads (after a workman drove them in a little more) and joints. I had done it in a house I had built, rooms I had finished, repairs I had made, etc., so I was comfortable with it. I told the guys, "Lose your inhibitions, feel free with it, don't be stingy with the joint compound, use enough to smooth it out over the area needing it, and don't try to keep it in a little, restricted space - spread it out and "feather" the edges. Don't be afraid of it - you can't mess it up." 'Also showed them how to lay a layer of joint compound in a joint and come back over it with the paper tape and another layer of joint compound. 'Told them, "Try to smooth it out in 2 or 3 swipes as you go, try to get it as smooth as you can, but it doesn't have to be perfect on the first application. Just try not to leave big clumps and ridges. The smoother you make it on first application, though, means less work on subsequent application(s), of course. Do all of the joints and nail heads today and come back tomorrow and do another application. After 2 or 3 applications, it should be smooth enough to paint; goal is to leave the surface and edges smooth enough without any sanding, but, if you have to do some sanding before painting, that's OK - it can be done easily enough - just gets sort of dusty." They were very quick learners; I was lucky that they were all very conversant in English, and by that time, I could speak a little Danish. As I helped them with the sheetrock finishing process, they enjoyed helping me with my Danish speaking, most of which I have already forgotten in 35 years of not needing it. We got along very well, and I was able to leave it with them after an hour or so of demonstrations and one-on-one instructions.

We also worked out details for treatment around the windows, application of metal corner beads, etc. 'Went back to check on them the next morning, and found that they had done a beautiful job on the first room; 2 men were in there doing some touch-up/refining, second layer, etc. I gave them a couple of additional pointers and went to the next 2 or 3 rooms, where the men were making excellent progress. I told all of the men how well they were doing and wondered if they might like to come to the States and help me build houses. We all had a good laugh, but they were, indeed, doing an excellent job.

We finished the project in a timely manner with no additional problems. I checked with the rooms' occupants during the following winter and found them very well-satisfied with the improvement in comfort level near the outer walls. I don't know if any of the several identical and/or similar buildings on base ever had this improvement. The entire base was returned to the Greenlanders/Danes in 1992 and is now know as Kangerlusuaq. (Google Sondrestrom or Kangerlusuaq, Greenland; some photos of the two-story concrete, dormitory-type buildings are shown on some of the sites.)

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "WILTON" <wilt...@nc.rr.com>