During our trip, I had programmed our Garmin GPS receiver with the
location of my uncle's house. We were on the way there when the receiver
locked up. I found that if I restarted it, it would run for about 30
seconds and then lock up again. I was able to get it to tell me, "Go on
such-an-such to that street." I went to that street, restarted it, and it
told me, "Turn left and go X miles to such-and-such street." Doing that
over and over, I was able to get to my destination. Unfortunately, this
process is real pain, and 30 seconds is not enough time to program a new
destination.

When it's connected to the window mount and powered from the car, it
locks up with the screen lit up. When it's running on its own battery, it
shuts down.

Any hints on fixing this?

Thanks,

Craig