I knew I'd been seeing that for years, but never looked it up before today.
Mitch.

From Snopes:

Those who support gun rights and believe responsible gun ownership begins with teaching young people the right way to handle firearms at an early age have a great fondness for this story. As well they should, because this anecdote illustrates in a humorous way the difference between having the ability to do something and allowing that ability to dictate one's life choices.

Origins: As apposite a tale as this might be, it's purely a product fabrication and not an excerpt from a real interview. It began circulating on the Internet in 1999 as a quote attributed to an "LTG Reinwald" of the U.S. Army, it reappeared in 2001 attributed to "Marine Corps General Reinwald," and it came back in 2007 in a version featuring Australian general Peter Cosgrove.

When this item initially appeared in 1999, the U.S. Army denied that there was a Lieutenant General Reinwald among their ranks and chalked the whole thing up as a hoax. (Which is as logic dictated all along: if an armed forces spokesperson gave voice to a sexist remark likening a female interviewer to a prostitute in a public interview, that officer would soon be called upon to make a very public apology as well as face charges within ranks for conduct unbecoming.)

National Public Radio had this to say about the matter:
"We are aware of an erroneous story posted on the Free Republic Website, and possibly elsewhere, which mentions a supposed interview between an unnamed NPR reporter and a U.S. Army Lieutenant General Reinwald. The story is false — the dialogue mentioned was not an NPR interview, and it never aired on any NPR program."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/reinwald.asp